Here in this tutorial, we will show you how to easily root Redmi Note 5 Pro and install TWRP recovery on it.
Xiaomi is quickly getting up to stand among the top Android manufacturers. While all major OEMs focus hard on high-end premium flagship phones, Xiaomi has equally distributed its attention on producing powerful Android devices that are affordable at the same time. The company has done it again this year and carried over the legacy of the infamous Redmi Note series by launching its fifth iteration.
The latest Redmi Note 5 series
comes with upgraded hardware and latest software, along with the bezel-less full-screen display. Well, if you’re not much satisfied with the stock MIUI firmware, you can simply choose to customize your device further. The guide below will help you root Redmi Note 5 Pro
and install TWRP recovery on the device.
Guide to Root Redmi Note 5 Pro and Install TWRP Recovery
There’s literally nothing that is wrong with the Redmi Note 5 Pro MIUI software. But a few users, such as me, would like to go past the vendor’s implementation and customize the OS according to their needs. This could be done by rooting the phone or by installing a third-party firmware altogether. So despite what you choose and want to do, this guide has got you covered. We have provided detailed instructions on how to install TWRP recovery on Redmi Note 5 Pro and root it.
Before you even get to the process, let us take a brief look at the complete process. The first step in order to root Redmi Note 5 Pro is to unlock the phone’s bootloader. Thankfully, Xiaomi provides its own official method to carry out the unlocking. Once the bootloader is unlocked, you can easily flash TWRP recovery using Fastboot. At last, you can use TWRP recovery to install a root ZIP such as SuperSU or Magisk.
- Take a complete backup of your personal data before carrying out the process. This includes apps, contacts, messages, internal storage, and everything else that is important.
- Charge the Redmi device to a sufficient battery level to avoid any disturbance during the process.
- Download Android SDK tools package and extract its content to a new folder. We will be using ‘C:adb’ for demonstration.
- Unlock bootloader on your Redmi device using the official unlock method. Without unlock the bootloader first, you will not be able to flash TWRP recovery.
Make sure to complete all the stated requirements before you fall the steps to install TWRP recovery and root Redmi Note 5 Pro.
Install TWRP Recovery on Redmi Note 5 Pro
- Download the TWRP recovery image.
- Power off Redmi Note 5 Pro.
- Hold the Volume Down and Power button simultaneously to boot into Fastboot mode.
- Connect the device to the PC using the USB cable.
- Copy the downloaded ‘twrp-3.2.1-0-whyred.img’ file to C:adb, where the ADB/fastboot binaries are present.
- Hold the SHIFT key on the keyboard, and right-click on an empty space inside the folder.
- Select ‘Open PowerShell window here’.
- Execute the following command in the PowerShell window to confirm that the device is being detected properly:
- fastboot devices
- The command should return a device ID along with the ‘fastboot’ message.
- Use the following command to install TWRP recovery on Redmi Note 5 Pro:
|fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.2.1-0-whyred.img
Once flashed, hold the Volume Up and Power button simultaneously until the phone powers off and reboots into TWRP recovery. Do not boot the Redmi device into the OS, or TWRP recovery will be overwritten with the stock recovery. Finally, follow the steps in the next section to root Redmi Note 5 Pro.
How to Root Redmi Note 5 Pro?
- Download latest Magisk ZIP on the PC.
- In TWRP, go to the ‘Mount’ menu.
- Tap on the ‘Enable MTP’ button.
- Connect the Redmi Note 5 Pro to the PC using the USB cable.
- Transfer the ‘Magisk-v16.3.zip’ file to the phone’s storage.
- Disconnect the device.
- Tap on the ‘Install’ button.
- Navigate to the internal storage and select the Magisk ZIP file.
- Swipe the button on the screen to start the flashing process and root Redmi Note 5 Pro.
- Finally, press the ‘Reboot System’ button.
When your phone boots, it shall be rooted. You can go ahead and install root-enabled apps or flash custom ROMs/mods via TWRP recovery. Note that a majority of custom ROMs do not come pre-rooted, which means you will need to flash Magisk again right after flashing the ROM in order to maintain root.
The process was fairly simple, right? So this was our guide on how to install TWRP recovery and root Redmi Note 5 Pro.
This article is posted by Faizan who is the Founder and Chief Editor of TechCarving. He is a Professional Blogger and Entrepreneur.
Connect him on: Twitter | Facebook | Google Plus